Monday, October 3, 2011

Page 207

"In our hallway, ablaze with welcoming lights, my Lolita peeled off her sweater, shook her gemmed hair, stretched towards me two bare arms, raised one knee:
'Carry me upstairs, please. I feel sort of romantic to-night.'" (207)

This passage made me question Humbert's trustworthiness and Lolita's sanity even more than I had before. What is going through Lolita's mind at this point? Has she become completely used to what she is doing with Humbert and now provokes it or is this Humbert's attempt at defending himself? After I read this part, I continually questioned everything that Humbert said. Was he telling how things really happened or was this all made up in an attempt to defend his crime? If Lolita is really behaving the way that Humbert describes in this passage, what is she thinking? This shows how much of an affect the things that he has done to her have had. In part two, we see how much Lolita is changing. The things that she and Humbert have been doing have had an enormous impact on her relationships with other people her own age. Will Lolita ever be able to escape Humbert and live a normal life? Is Lolita okay with the way they are living?

No comments:

Post a Comment